A manufacturer of college textbooks is interested in estimating the strength of the bindings produced by a particular binding machine. Strength can be measured by recording the force required to pull the pages from the binding. If this force is measured in pounds, how many books should be tested to estimate the average force required to break the binding to within 0.08 lb with 99% confidence? Assume that σ is known to be 0.72. (Exact answer required.)

Answers

Answer 1
Answer:

Answer:

538 books should be tested.

Step-by-step explanation:

We have that to find our \alpha level, that is the subtraction of 1 by the confidence interval divided by 2. So:

\alpha = (1-0.99)/(2) = 0.005

Now, we have to find z in the Ztable as such z has a pvalue of 1-\alpha.

So it is z with a pvalue of 1-0.005 = 0.995, so z = 2.575

Now, find the margin of error M as such

M = z*(\sigma)/(√(n))

In which \sigma is the standard deviation of the population and n is the size of the sample.

How many books should be tested to estimate the average force required to break the binding to within 0.08 lb with 99% confidence?

n books should be tested.

n is found when M = 0.08

We have that \sigma = 0.72

M = z*(\sigma)/(√(n))

0.08 = 2.575*(0.72)/(√(n))

0.08√(n) = 2.575*0.72

√(n) = (2.575*0.72)/(0.08)

(√(n))^(2) = ((2.575*0.72)/(0.08))^(2)

n = 537.1

Rounding up

538 books should be tested.

Related Questions

The short answer please
Can someone plz help me solved this problem! I’m giving you 10 points! I need help plz help me! Will mark you as brainiest!
Please help me understand I am confused
A physical education class has 21 boys and 9 girls. Each day, the teacher randomly selects a team captain. Assume that no student is absent. What is the probability that the team captain is a girl two days in a row?The probability of choosing a captain that is a girl two days in a row is 9%.
A jar contained 8 balls: 6 red, 1 green and 1 blue. We randomly take a ball out of the jar. Once a ball is selected we do not put it back. We keep selecting balls until for the first time we get a blue one. We count the number of times we had to draw a ball, (including the last drawing) until we actually got the blue ball. How many elements are in the sample space for this experiment

What is the measure of the angle?

Answers

Answer:

155°

The angle between the x and y axes is 90°. Adding 65° to that angle gives an angle measure of ...

... 90° +65° = 155°

In the year 2000 Florida's population was 16 million. since 2000, the state's population has grown about 2% each year. this means that Florida's population is growing exponentially. Find Florida's population in 2006​

Answers

Yes yes I will love to see if you get it right it is 12050

A drawer contains 3 tan sweaters and two black sweaters. You randomly choose two sweaters. What is the probability that both sweaters are black?

Answers

A = event that you select a black sweater
P(A) = 2/5 since there are 2 black out of 2+3 = 5 total

After you make a selection, we have the event
B = event that you select another black sweater assuming event A has happened already

P(B) = 1/4 because there's 1 black sweater left out of 5-1 = 4 left over

Multiply the probabilities
P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B)
P(A and B) = (2/5)*(1/4)
P(A and B) = 2/20
P(A and B) = 1/10

The answer as a fraction is 1/10
In decimal form, it is 0.1
As a percent, the answer is 10%

Jenny cut a wire into 4 equal pieces. The wire was originally 7.92 meters long. How long is each piece?

Answers

Answer:

1.98 meters

divide 7.92 by 4

(7.92)/4

Which expression is equal to “7 times the sum of a number and 4"?

Answers

Answer: 7 (x+4)

Step-by-step explanation: Since the expression asks for 7 times the sum of a number and 4, you would put x + 4 in parentheses since multiplying 7 comes afterwards.

(15 POINTS) (FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHMENT!)

Answers

Answer:

1. 5 / 6

2. 1 / 3

3. 3 / 6 or  1 / 2

The probability that A is not yellow is 5 / 6

The probability that B is blue is 1 / 3

The probability that A is red is 3 / 6 or 1 / 2