Do you support a MOCK Indexing Competition for laboratory purposes?

https://tinyurl.com/wsuwv9s <—Link is to Consider.it I set up for test question on if there is support for a friendly competition (in the future) where we could have awards (even if emoticons!) and study these mock indexes forever! But we could have a cutoff say 6 months?
Could have crazy allocations, some total dogs, or I bet someone or team could pick one that OUTPERFORMS! We would need a start date, the allocations, and an agreed upon oracle (like say coinmarketcap) - but purpose is to track the activity and give some examples and I believe this will help speed up consensus in such a mock fasion - let’s formalize it and call it a laboratory experiment. If you agree, agree, if you disagree, disagree, if you chose not to decide you still have made a choice!

1 Like

I find the exercise quite interesting do take part of. Is there any specific one which has been running for a while?

1 Like

I like this idea, might be a good idea to make this part of implementing any new allocation as well. Back tests are great but not always enough. Having many tests may also provide different levels of risk for users to evaluate when choosing their investments

1 Like

How much would you consider to be a reasonable amount of time for a mock index, pre-allocation?

1 Like

I think 3 to 6 months should suffice, combined with backtesting.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea! A competition of mock PIEs where the winner gets turned into an actual PIE and the creator is rewarded DOUGH tokens for the hard work.

1 Like

I had some mock one’s on my website from like 5 years ago, but my website isn’t around. Would have been interesting to see where they are at today with the indexes I chose. But it is not available and not aware of another one. What a good time to create a competition. Need an easy input method or some directions. It should be pretty easy to accomplish in mock fashion - and to use for media purposes to garnish interest - at least it’s a start and can be tracked on going to prove a point. And in competition can see several, from top performer to the junk PIE!

@alexintosh “How much would you consider to be a reasonable amount of time for a mock index, pre-allocation?”
I am not exactly sure what you mean in terms of preallocation. But in terms of mock index, as long as there is consensus on the methodology, say we set this to go in 2 months, I would think this would be sufficient time to A) design an easy spreadsheet - with the help of people interested and capable of making such a spreadsheet for ease of input. OR B) Just do it, some people could be like administers that meet regularly or bust it out, to take the allocations per pie, arrive at the Start Date and time (or if spreadsheet could “track” in live time say coinmarketcap (or any oracle as agreed on - as some tokens are hard to track with zero volume - yet it can be misleading right, if that make sense), there would almost need to be some starting criteria in order to track it in laboratory fashion. But say a Pie has 100 allocation s of 1% each, that would take a lot of work, though could be done. But for laboratory purposes that could be interesting feedback - but leads me to believe there would need to be a limited amount of participants - or…the interested people could be chanelled into a “team” if they desire to be part of this. I would think to lay out the ground rules, would take say 1 month. To set it up to track it and administer it (maybe keep open until it’s truly ready to go - rather than deadline - would be best) say for 1-3 months or more if required. From there the competition is on from start time til finished - if that is a 2 month period to track or 6 months, but if 2 or 6 months, could keep that alive if spreadsheet is maintained and live time. But overall this could be just a simple showing, where a limited amount of participants or teams could make their PIE and chose their allocations as they see fit, and then once the competition begins it is simply tracked, perhaps could GO LIVE in like a ZOOM and they could demonstrate their allocations, why. Start time (say at 12 noon) that is the start of the price per the coinmarketcap (or agreed oracle) and from there it cannot be disputed and competition is on. I’d say to do it right, 4 months, gives everybody time, best case scenario is an easy spreadsheet to put in allocations so it just calculates - but with blockchain it is permanent and immutable so why not use this as testing grounds if some other projects or dev teams think it’s interesting because PIE could really boost their efforts, especially if they want to compete in this for recognition and potential distribution of their project.

https://github.com/btcmacroecon/IndexCoin/blob/master/WhitePaper OK I found at least something from May 2016. Darkcoin is now DASH. Hypercoin I don’t think even exists. I see Bitcoin was $274 on that date. But this is just an example. I like the DAO concept better. But we’ve come a long way since 2016 too.
OK I wrote this way long time ago, but you can get an idea of how I came up with the amounts (say amount of Dogecoin) for the allocation (as I was getting at) yet based on the the price of Bitcoin on that day, as you can see was $274. Bitcoin and DASH would have been good, pretty Dogecoin would have gone up too. But it’s all relative, but as you can see it can be tracked, and that is my message. A PieDAO competition for laboratory purposes could start anew reflective of the allocation and subject to price at the start until end - or ongoing forever, like this lives on May 2016. It’s a good perspective, why I think 2 month competition or 6 month competition works, but if one competition is done for 2 month, could award winner there, and keep it alive and do it at 6 months, and in that scenario it is feasible that same team or PieDAO could win competition twice. This can prove a point, and can give rise to competition in asset allocation - if not spur alliances and dev teams to work to further develop. ANY crypto that is added to an index stands to gain they are chosen in an index situation or PieDAO. This needs another peer review, this is just how I see it. But a lab analysis can test the theories and can prove as proving grounds - at least it’s like a renaissance for crypto. This is what this space needs.

This looks like a good tool for backtesting / mocks
https://www.quantconnect.com/

1 Like

In regards to mocks…why could the time stamping mechanism (if built into) of the excel spreadsheet not act in and of itself as the asset allocation of the defi world?
Of course how it could interface with the blockchain to timestamp it and to make immutable is another feat, I would think.
But if there could be a plethora of allocations and time stamped, it seems to be possible to make markets (say indexes of metals use simple example of 33.333% silver, 33.333% gold, and 33.333% platinum. If created that timestamp could act as an asset - and if it could act as an asset, the price is reflective in oraclized fashion thus the price is the market price as determined by oracle.
I’m not sure how USDT is based other than stable at $1 = $1 (I think).
But in defi and in laboratory - people with winning records or anybody could create a asset class with historical record since inception. While it could immediately serve a plethora of commodities and existing or customized indexes, it could work well with crypto but the oracle and prices are much more volatile, but it could be established with the right oracle or partnership - say Shapeshift. Seems tough to do with coinmarketcap, but then again, needs review from wisdom of the crowd and see what works best.
I like the idea of this excel spreadsheet for fun computation, but it could get sophisticated fast, get traction and PR, and could catalyst into interesting instruments and partnerships.